Sunday, September 17, 2006

Socks From Scratch Update

I'm really enjoying this project - it's not a very time-efficient way to get socks but there's a great deal of satisfaction in the process. Here are my two skeins, I wound them off at about 150 inches long. They are just under 50g each.


I knitted a dyeing swatch - 4 rows in the round then unravel and measure - to judge the length of each colour repeat, then Kool-aid dyed using grape, pink lemonade and lemon/lime. (The kool-aid came in my birthday box from Amanda Cathleen, thanks!)

Nobody told me I should be wearing gloves :-/ Jelly doesn't stain like this.

And the finished product. There weren't supposed to be purple spots all over the pink and green sections but I'm calling it a design feature lol.

If all goes well (and I measured correctly) I'll have a purple stripe then a pink/green blended section alternating. Can't wait to start knitting - but I must finish my swap socks first so don't hold your breath.

Next spinning project: Mum dyed this for me, It's the same polwarth I used for SFS. I love it :-)


The rest of the day was spent packing and clearing out. Check out silly mess picks on our travel blog :-D

Ciao!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! Look at all the kool-aid goodness!! And your hands! WOW! I had no idea that kool-aid would stain your hands either.

 
At 6:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on the dyed yarn. It looks lovely. I've had mixed results so far with trying to make self striping yarn. Seem to manage two colours okay but anything more ends up in a mess. Yours look fab. can't wait to see the finished socks.

 
At 1:58 am, Blogger Heather said...

Who says jelly doesn't stain - don't you remember your white voile dress after that party when you were 3?

Your wool looks good, so does that dyed by your Mum ;-) I am looking forward to seeing it spun and knitted up.

 
At 10:27 am, Blogger Hawkesley said...

Ooh, can't wait to see what your yarn looks like knitted up! Love the photo of your hands covered in Kool-Aid :-) I haven't dyed any yarn in ages. Now seeing your photos I want to have another go!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home