Monday, August 21, 2006

Monday Musings

This one's dedicated to my mum.

As our departure date draws nearer I am beginning to realise that the absolute worst thing about moving to England won't be the harsh winter, it won't be not having the luxury of a car for a year, it won't be the lack of proper Cadbury chocolate (the English version is bleh).

The absolute worst thing is going to be the separation from my mum.

Mum and I don't always get along perfectly (I'd like to hear of a mother/daughter pair that does!) but we have so much in common and the invisible ties between us are so strong that the distance is going to be very hard to bear. Not only similar in features, mum and I are constantly teased for our uncanny likenesses in mannerisms, tastes in books, food, colours and hobbies. mum taught me every craft imaginable from a young age and these skills are treasured now I am an adult. She also instilled in me a love of books and education. She will tell you that I taught myself everything by watching - but no one can learn by watching if they do not have such a wonderful example to follow.

Our mothers are so important to us in our development and the shaping of our lives and personalities. You only have to look at the number of books, poems, cards and fridge magnets dedicated to mothers and on sale in any gift shop to know that mothers are special to all of us. Last week a colleague of mine received news that her mother had been diagnosed with cancer. It completely broke her up and I realised that I would be the same. I can’t imagine life without my mum, no one to ask for help with knitting/dyeing/spinning/recipes/gardening, no one to compare numbers of ‘proper’ books read from various lists, no one to ring to hear unlimited and totally biased praise of my work.

As I draw nearer to experiencing motherhood myself I look back on my life as a daughter and hope that I can bestow such a wonderful gift on my children as I have received.

Please pop over to my mum’s blog and say hi, she deserves it!

Last week's Monday Musings

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 10:10 am, Blogger Nickerjac said...

I'm sorry that you will miss your Mum but you will learn to love the choclate and have access to rowan and colinette which has to help a little

 
At 10:11 pm, Blogger Carrie K said...

Aww. I'd hate to move that far away too. It's not forever though, is it?

 
At 1:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww! Sounds like you are really going to miss your mom! I'm sorry! How long are you going to be living in London? Hopefully the time will fly! : )

 
At 6:59 am, Blogger Linda said...

We did the opposite and lived in Melbourne for just over a year! Although you will miss your Mum and lots of things, you will find that you have so much to share with her and those phone calls will mean so much to both of you.
Good luck and make the most of it...you will really appreciate Australia when you go back!
Lin x
p.s. Uk cadburys is better!!!

 
At 7:26 am, Blogger Heather said...

I am going to miss you, too! (But I will send you some chocolate - and lots of advice!)
Some people believe you cannot increase your own skills unless you teach what you know - thank you for being there with me in our journey in textiles.

I didn't always get on well with my mother, either, until I became a mother and all our differences seemed to disappear like magic. We were seeing things from the same angle at last.

And I will be there to help with the bestowing - just remember not to give them similar-sounding names!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home