Monday, August 14, 2006

Monday Musings

I was going to write about terrorism today. It is the buzz of the moment - on everyone's lips and still warranting a double page spread in the daily paper. But I decided not to add my voice. I'd rather think about something a bit more positive - especially after a foul afternoon doing battle with my assistant principal.

So, today's topic is letters. The old-fashioned pen and paper kind. After a miserable drive home with emotions teetering between wild tears and furious anger, I found a letter from my French pen pal waiting for me and suddenly the sun was shining again.

There's some special quality about a real live letter that doesn't emerge in an email or text message. Something about it that makes my heart jump when I check the mail and one is there. Perhaps it's the foreign stamps invoking a sense of the glamour of world travel. Maybe the happy realisation that something in the mailbox is not a bill, or the special note-paper that my pen pals always take the time to choose.

As a means of keeping in touch and up to date, email is efficient and effective. But it lacks the touch and warmth of a piece of writing which has been sent directly from the hand of someone who cares about you. A real letter can surprise you with enclosures: stickers, treats, photos which can go straight on the mantelpiece rather than entering the print queue. A real letter can be imagined to retain some of the lingering perfume of its country of origin.

I hope that snail-mail post endures through our age of elite technology. Rather than always grasping for the immediate response, the fast news, the instant answer, we can slow down a little and benefit from the joy of anticipation and the reception of a real letter.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10:21 am, Blogger Piglottie said...

Agree 100%. I love sending and receiving proper pen to paper letters. They seem so much more personal and thoughtful. And its lovely to open them up and read them again and again. Long live the proper letter!

 
At 12:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more, there is something very special about sending and receiving a real, honest to goodness letter. I think it might be the extra effort involved in the writing - in comparison to an e-mail or text say.

 
At 8:49 pm, Blogger Badger said...

ah, paper letters are special these days - I think they do show effort and thoughtfulness. I can't actually remember the last proper letter I had, shows how quickly they are declining in popularity.

 
At 12:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree absolutely - watch your mail box. And I warn you, I expect a reply!

 
At 1:16 am, Blogger Karen said...

I totally agree with you... especially when it comes from far away! Check your mail for something soon.

 
At 7:39 am, Blogger Lexa Roséan said...

Thanks for reminding us of the good old fashioned and delicious letter. Especially in the world of blogs! I love that you chose this topic instead of the other. I now consider you one of the spiritual redeemers of the world. Keep it coming!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home