Monday, February 19, 2007

Monday Musings

Pretty and Practical?

Today I had a bit of a play with a new toy. I ordered some spindles a while back from my friend Claire and, on a whim, ordered a Nostepinne to match my spindle. I used it today for the first time and immediately noticed all those positives, such as perfect balance and lovely finish, which I had also admired in the spindle when I first picked it up.
These tools are hand made by Claire and her husband and the attention to detail makes them not only a practical tool but a work of art. And I like my tools pretty.
At a pinch I could probably use a cardboard tube as a Nostepinne (it's not tapered though which is kind of important) and I have often wound centre-pull balls on a pair of ice-cream sticks or folded card. But I firmly believe that a tool does not have to lose its practicality just because it has been made aesthetically pleasing as well.
I knit, spin and crochet because I love to work with my hands and I like to create, and look at, beautiful things. The tools we use can be a pleasure in themselves and add to the overall enjoyment of the creative pastime.
--------
* Some tools I have been drooling over :-)
* and another
* Claire's spindles are here

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 3:42 am, Blogger Heather said...

I had a nostespinne made to a photo, and it does work, but is in pine and would be better if it was heavier, I think. How much does yours weigh?

 
At 9:13 am, Blogger Auntie Noo said...

Oooh I've always wondered what they are for!! - Any chance of a photo tutorial, not sure I can get my head around how???

 
At 11:36 am, Blogger Kai said...

sounds like you've been having fun!!

i like the nostpinne and the spindle... and i'm all awash with info!! :) I have to try this soon to, as well as the spinning..

i love brittany birches... my crochet hooks and knitting needles are sublime..

 
At 12:51 pm, Blogger dianemulholland said...

Firstly, my nostepinne is 104g, made from mahogany.

I have thought of doing a tutorial - I think a lot of people haven't used one and they're really handy. Maybe next weekend :-)

 
At 4:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dianne, I've just put a nostepinne tutorial in the AY forum under Spinning, and in the craftythreadsnyarns.myfreeforum.orgforum under Tips and hints. Please comment freely LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home