Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Year of the Steek

In her list of New Year's Resolutions Bronte announced she was going to try steeking. Of course, I rose to the bait and said I'd keep her company.

Then this arrived in the mail yesterday:

It's brilliant! Excellent advice about colour, pattern design and ... steeks!

Obviously it's a sign - so I promise that sometime this year I will cut a steek.

I have actually already purchased the yarn for a project for Nathalie's baby - I wanted to do Fair Isle but was too scared to do anything requiring steeking so I found a no-cut pattern. Do I change my mind and leap straight in at the deep end? Or finish this one first and maybe practise chopping up my knitting on something a little less precious????

Tell me your steek stories :-)

Ciao!

5 Comments:

At 8:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've steeked! I knitted an Icelandic circular yoked heavy Lopi cardigan and I had to cut it all the way up the front and it wnet fine, no problems. I love to knit FairIsle and would not hesitate to steek again. I say 'Go for it!'

 
At 11:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We can learn to steek together as I have started a cardigan for Baby that will need steeking. I am knitting for an 18 mo old though since my fear of anything sewing related will probably mean many delays.

 
At 3:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did a course with Alice Starmore years ago, she had us all steeking. You can just practice by knitting a large swatch with about 10 steek stitches in the middle, then cut that - it doesn't have to be done in fairisle. To be more authenic you could use two colours though, and steek in alternate colours. Just make sure you use the right wool - shetland - which sticks together like you wouldn't believe!

 
At 10:13 am, Blogger Kate said...

Indeed it will be the year of the steek! I downloaded Eunny's Deep-V Argyle top to be my first steeking project so once I have the yarn, there's no going back!

And that's a splendid book. It taught me a lot about how colours work with each other and about the practical side of holding the yarns for stranded knitting.

 
At 4:02 am, Blogger Heather said...

Jump in the deep end - it is very you!
I liked the comment about using slightly fuzzy (?) Shetland wool - homespun probable similar if soft fibres like lambswool.

I am going to cut mine SOON.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home