Monday, January 01, 2007

Monday Musings

Lesson One: Following a Pattern

Last week I knitted Fetching. Kind of. As I picked up my needles I thought "Good - a well written pattern, I can knit from beginning to end without any maths, adjustments or in fact, thinking.

As I cast on I caught myself thinking: I wonder if this would work with an Italian cast-on...

As I knitted the cuff I caught myself thinking: I don't really like my mitts long - maybe I'll stop at 12 rows...

Having reached the thumb I caught myself thinking: I really do prefer gusset-increase to an afterthought thumb...

And I left off the picot edging.

I can read a pattern, I can even write a pretty fair pattern. But somehow, I can't bring myself to follow a written pattern word for word, beginning to end. As soon as I start I find myself tweaking here and adjusting there. Four rows more, two stitches less, in the round rather than flat, toe-up instead of cuff-down. I think this is why I spend rather more of my time thinking about knitting, and frogging my knitting rather than actually knitting.

Somewhere out there is a pattern which I will follow stitch for stitch. In the meantime, I keep my notebook handy and spend much time examining socks - trying to figure out what I did to the first one so I can attempt to knit a second which matches.

Ciao :-)

Last week's Monday Musings

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:43 am, Blogger Auntie Noo said...

LOL!!!! I used to follow patterns once upon a time, but like you I often find myself changing a few bits here and there - or combining two patterns which are almost right to make one which is perfect!!!!

 
At 10:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I aspire to be like you!! I have to stick so strictly to a pattern so I don't stuff up. I'm still a beginner I guess ... but I'm getting there (thanks to you oh master knitter).

 
At 7:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*L* You may spend more time thinking about your knitting, or frogging your knitting but you are truely enjoying your knitting ; )

 
At 2:25 pm, Blogger Badger said...

I know exactly what you mean. I'm a perpetual pattern tweaker, but I think that's a good thing :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home