Monday, October 30, 2006

Monday Musings

Was Pythagoras a Knitter?

Often during my school years I got strange looks from people as I chatted about my studies "you're majoring in what - maths?!?" It seemed inexplicable to many people that I could be really into the humanities - music, languages, English literature, - with mathematics on the side. Now I am vindicated. Hehe.

I started my first garment design project last week. A shrug with a basic eyelet stitch and lace edging worked afterwards.

*Bows low to all past maths teachers*

Knit a swatch in stocking stitch. Calculate guage. Calculate gauge again in imperial. Repeat for lace pattern. Measure body parts. Find a friend to measure body parts impossible to reach by oneself. Convert to imperial. Divide measurements by gauge. Round up/down. Adjust to fit stitch pattern repeats BUT NOT BY TOO MUCH. Calculate lower back shaping. Knit a bit. Calculate sleeve shaping. Spend ages trying to figure out how to increase 72 stitches evenly over 54 rows - how much is too much anyway???. Make sure pattern is centred. Check measurements in case copious amount of chocolate consumption has affected fit. Knit a bit. Eat more chocolate. Check measurements again.

Sometime I'm going to have to figure out how to fit the lace pattern to the cuff and edging stitch count. Potentially before I have knitted that part of the shrug.

I think I need some more chocolate...

Last week's Monday Musings

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of groovy math! There are a lot of 'traditional' womenfolk chores that all involve much math which makes the gender gap for mathematics that much odder. Oh well.

 
At 1:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to hate maaths in school but loved music ..took a little time to realize the maths of music
its a strange world.. thinking all the projects that you have on the go..I'll let you know that I am currently working on a quilted spiderman wall hanger, quilted christmas stockings x 6, and a father christmas wall hanger as tall as me, along with alt. s for customers (paying) and alt's for me

 
At 8:46 pm, Blogger ra said...

funny I was rubbish at maths at school despite my dad being a maths teacher. Turns out that I'm actually not bad at mathematics having done rents, finance work, worked in a shop behind the (steam driven) tills. Nowadays have to calculate deductions from customers invoices when deliveries are wrong (including working out the vat).
Funny how necessity makes us capable!

 
At 3:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hated math! It took me a long time to admit that its really everywhere! My hs math teacher was right. urgh!
Good luck with your shrug, I want to eat more chocolate after reading what all you've been though *L*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home