Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Socks From Scratch

I have been toying with the idea of a 'socks from scratch' project for a while and have finally begun! The plan is to spin, dye and knit a pair of socks from beginning to end. This is a biggish project for me as I have never really done any serious spinning - only sampling - and the only thing I've ever knitted from my own spinning is one silk wrist-warmer (the other one is suffering second sock syndrome).

I am starting with 100g of prepared polwarth top which I bought at the Wool Show. I plan to make a 3-ply yarn so I have divided it into 6 (for 2x50g balls). The spinning is going fairly well - I am a bit more than halfway though the second hank after starting on Sunday afternoon. Here are the progress pics:




















Thoughts so far: I'd forgotten how relaxing spinning was - almost like meditating; I'm finding it a little boring spinning endless yards of white wool - maybe next time I'll dye first;

P.S. Yes I know, I didn't shear the sheep, or even card the wool myself. I may be nuts but I'm not insane ;-)

Ciao!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10:55 am, Blogger Piglottie said...

I love the idea of making something from scratch (well, as much as you are able). I'm doing a similar thing but on a much smaller scale but have to keep a bit quiet about it until secret pal is over. Your spinning looks so even and professional - I have a long way to go!

 
At 3:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment! Socks are a great first fluff to stuff project. I have the same problem with undyed fiber - boring - so I like to dye before spinning.

 
At 12:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done. Your spinning is excellent - shows you were taught by an expert ;-)
It is a meditative process, very soothing and centering, but if you like you can add music.

 
At 12:24 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks mum, :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home